The year before you conceive is the perfect time to start eating for optimal fertility and the health of your future child, but it’s not too late to start even if you’re already trying. A 2007 study of nearly 18,000 women at the Harvard School of public health showed women with the highest fertility:
· Consumed fewer trans fats (from fried food and packaged baked goods)*
· Ate less sugar from refined carbohydrates (bread, crackers, cakes, cookies, candy)*
· Consumed more protein
· Ate more fiber and iron (from plant foods and organic, lean, grass-fed red meats)*
· Took more multivitamins (high-quality vitamins recommended by your healthcare practitioner specifically for your needs)*
· Consumed more (organic, grass fed)* high-fat dairy products and less non-organic, low-fat dairy products.
*Dr. Graser’s recommendations in parenthesis.
It’s also a great idea to start taking a few key supplements that have been shown to support you and your child’s health during pregnancy and long after. Fish oil with high DHA content (mercury-free), a prenatal vitamin with methylated folate, probiotics and vitamin D have been shown to have the following benefits:
· Reduce incidence of allergies and asthma
· Improve hand-eye coordination, visual acuity, problem-solving ability
· Support neurological health
· Reduce likelihood of post-partum depression
· Reduce constipation and vaginal infections in moms during pregnancy
· Promote healthy tooth and bone growth, immune health and support healthy birth weight.
If you’re having challenges with fertility, or dealing with post-partum depression there may be more specific nutritional treatment for you as well.
RESERVE A SESSION WITH DR. CLAIRE: BOOK NOW
For a nutrition and wellness plan specific to your needs, make an appointment with Dr. Claire Graser, ND at Senspa. 415.441.1777 www.senspa.com